I grew up with அம்மா using frozen spinach when she made கீரை (keerai) curry – maybe it was more convenient or maybe it was cheaper.
For me, to pull out a frozen packet and 10 mins later have a delicious dish with minimal cleaning – is pretty tempting!
So if you are like eeewww – sick – gross – sub in fresh spinach – easy.
This would normally be served with many dishes and rice. It’s so delish, I am happy to have it with another vege dish (usually something with a curry powder or turmeric base) and rice .
- 1 box of frozen spinach thawed
- 1/2 a medium onion chopped
- 3 red or green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 cup freshly grated coconut milk (if not available use cows or soy milk – i find canned coconut milk too heavy)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 Tblsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (if you don’t like salt – use 1/4)
- Heat oil and sauté the onions till it starts to turn golden.
- Add the mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves and fry for about minute.
- Add the spinach and milk (soy) and cook for another minute.
- Remove from stove. Add the yogurt, lime/lemon juice.
- ServeNote: I often find myself pulling this out of the freezer when I need to cook it. If you find yourself in this situation when you get to step 3. lower the heat and cook it till it thaws out.