My mum makes this curry using frozen spinach. Mum said in Sri Lanka her family would use fresh spinach bought at the markets. So either can be used. For me, frozen spinach is convenient and easy.
This curry will usually be one of many dishes, however I think it’s tasty enough to eat on it’s own with something like a (frozen) parotha – which can be bought at spice shops.
- 1 box of frozen spinach thawed
- 1/2 a medium onion chopped
- 2-3 red or green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 cup milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 lime/lemon juiced
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 2 tblsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more if you like salt). I would use 1/2 tsp
- Heat oil and saute the onions till the onion just starts to turn golden.
- Add the mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves and fry for about minute.
- Add the spinach and milk (soy) and cook for another minute.
- Remove from stove. Add the yogurt, lime/lemon juice.