I grew up with அம்மா using frozen spinach when she made கீரை (keerai) curry – maybe it was more convenient or maybe it was cheaper.
For me, to pull out a frozen packet and 10 mins later have a delicious dish with minimal cleaning – is pretty tempting!
So if you are like eeewww – sick – gross – sub in fresh spinach – easy.
This would normally be served with many dishes and rice. It’s so delish, I am happy to have it with another vege dish (usually something with a curry powder or turmeric base) and rice .
- 1 box of frozen spinach thawed
- 1/2 a medium onion chopped
- 3 red or green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 cup freshly grated coconut milk (if not available use cows or soy milk – i find canned coconut milk too heavy)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 Tblsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (if you don’t like salt – use 1/4)
- Heat oil and sauté the onions till it starts to turn golden.
- Add the mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves and fry for about minute.
- Add the spinach and milk (soy) and cook for another minute.
- Remove from stove. Add the yogurt, lime/lemon juice.
- ServeNote: I often find myself pulling this out of the freezer when I need to cook it. If you find yourself in this situation when you get to step 3. lower the heat and cook it till it thaws out.
Thanks for posting all these recipes, much appreciated. Look forward to seeing more of them.
Thank you VA. There are definitely more coming. I have only just started. If there is anything you want me to make – please let me know. B
Hope you are keeping well. Do you or your mom have a recipe for Soya Chunks Curry?
Thanks for your comment.
Are you after a curry or a sambol type dish – which is more drier?
My mum makes both.
I will post it for you by this weekend. I think it’s the same recipe as a potato curry/sambol.
I would like to know the curry, hope its not too inconvenient for you and/or your mom. Much appreciated.
No problem at all. I will get onto it before the end of weekend! Thanks for asking and visiting.
V – sorry again it’s taken me so long to post there. Here it is https://mytamilkitchen.com/2013/03/09/soya-chunks-curry/.
Thank you very much for posting this. Found this while literally craving for it and having some frech spinach in the fridge without the recipe lol.It is therefore much appreciated.
Dou you know how to make spiced potato curry, similar to the Indian Bombay potatoes but it is more Sri Lankan Tamil style…very smooth, soft and fluffy.
Thanks a lot!!
Hi Sasi, thanks for checking out MTK. I don’t know how to make the Spiced Potato Curry, but my mum def will.
I would like to do a few recipes this weekend, and not sure your on is on the list. So I will back to you asap.