I got a comment on Jan 21 from unknown person ‘V’ asking me if my mum or I knew how to make Soya Chunks Curry?
I replied saying I would get to it immediately, but oops – it’s taken me a little longer than I had planned. Apologies ‘V’.
This curry is a popular one for vegetarians. You can make it with or without the potatoes.
I am not 100% convinced about soya meat. To me it feels too synthetic and therefor not entirely healthy. But I have not done enough research to understand it’s nutritional qualities – if it all it has any. So for this reason, I don’t eat it often.
There are probably 20 different varieties of soya meat on the market. I don’t like the round ones. My mum uses a brand which seems to have a more chicken like texture. which may turn off vegetarians – which could be a turn off for vegetarians. It’s all very complex. 🙂
Anyway it is a popular dish in my mum’s kitchen and many other Tamil homes and ‘V’ has requested it. So here goes.
- 375g frozen soya meat
- 1 small onion medium chopped
- 3 cloves garlic medium chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes medium diced
- 12 curry leaves torn in 1/2
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp curry powder (we use King’s curry powder now)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (milk/soy milk alternative)
- 3 small to medium potatoes cut in large pieces
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp ground pepper&cumin spice*
- 1 Tbl vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp ground paprika (my mum says this is for colour and not taste)
* This is a little secret spice my mum uses which is a combination of ground pepper and ground cumin in equal parts. We also use it for Lentil Curry.
- Boil water in a kettle.
- Cover the soya meat in the boiling water and soak for 5 minutes or until it becomes soft.
- Cut the soya meat into smaller pieces (as small as you would like it).
- Using your hands squeeze the water out of the soya meat and place in a bowl.
- Add the salt and the curry powder to the soya meat.
- Heat oil to a pan.
- Add onions and garlic and fry till deep golden brown.
- Add fenugreek seeds and fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and fry on low heat till it becomes soft (approx 5 minutes).
- Add soya meat.
- Add 2 cups of boiling kettle water.
- Add the potatoes and cover.
- Cook until potato becomes soft
- Add coconut milk and cook for another 3 minutes
- Add the pepper&cumin spice and curry leaves.
- Turn off stove.