Kadalai [kah-da-lai] or கடலை – served as offering to Hindu gods, and then eaten by humans or simply eaten by humans for breakfast with a nice hot tea to accompany.
- 1 cup of dry chickpeas – soaked overnight
- 1/2 tbls ghee
- 3/4-1 tsp salt
- 1 sprig of curry leaves (this should be about 15 leaves)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 dried chillies
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoon of small coconut pieces (see photo below)
- Place chickpeas in a pot and cover with water and salt.
- Bring to boil until soft. Drain water.
- In a fry pan, add Ghee, onions and chilli and fry till onions turn brown.
- Add coconut pieces and keep frying for about 1 minute.
- Add fennel, mustards seeds and curry leaves and fry for another minute.
- Combine everything and serve.