Ever heard of இராசவள்ளி கிழங்கு (rasavalli killangu) or purple yam?
This recipe follows that in ‘Recipes of the Jaffna Tamils‘ pg 137 with a variation right at the end. Nesa aunty uses vanilla essence and அம்மா uses cardamom. Freshly ground cardamom – yum!
1. wash the yam a few times to remove the slimy residue.
2. cube the yam.
3. Put it in a pot with enough water to cover the yam. Cook till soft.
4. Add coconut milk, sugar and salt. Mix thoroughly and turn over a few times, till it becomes a consistent texture.
5. Use a mortar and pestle to extract the seeds from the pods and then grind till fine.
6. Add the ground cardamom.
7. Grease a shallow tray with a little ghee.
8. Dish yam into the tray and put in fridge to cool down and thicken.
8. Cut into diamond shaped pieces and serve for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
(It is NOT eaten with strawberries)