Rotti and sambol is my ‘home’ or ‘comfort food’.
அம்மா makes it so easily – she could do it with her eyes closed. I find getting the heat balance for the rotti too annoying – which is more about my impatience than anything. The two times I tried – i ended up burning it – and then I just gave up.
When talking about cuisine from other countries with அம்மா, we often come back to (in tamil) – ‘nothing is better than rotti and sambol’. 🙂
I love rotti with curry, rotti with sambol, rotti with sambol and banana.
INGREDIENTS FOR ROTTI
2 cups plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/3 tsp salt
1 tbl butter
1 cup water
1 tsp oil (olive or vegetable)
2. slowly add the water until the mixture is rolled into a ball.
3. Leave aside for 30min-1 hour.
4. Break up the mixture into 3 equal balls – or as small or big as you want it.
5. Flatten 1 ball with the palm of your hands and then use a rolling pin to roll it into a flat circle.
6. Put the rotti on a flat fry pan set to medium heat.
7. Put some butter on the exposed side of the rotti.
8. Cook for 30 seconds and then turn it over.
7. Put butter on the newly exposed side and cook for 30 seconds.
8. Keep repeating this till cooked. It should take less than 5 minutes.
9. Use the back of a wooden or plastic spoon to press the rotti down intermittently while it is frying. There should be a few dark spots (see photo) when the rotti is done.
Note – you can keep the rotti mixture for about 5-6 hours.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAMBOL
The non veg variety would have maldive fish flakes (see previous Omlette post)
1. Sprinkle 2 tbl water on the coconut and put in the microwave for 1 min.
2. Put all ingredients minus the lemon in a grinder and grind.
3. Remove from grinder and place in a serving dish.
4. Squeeze the lemon and mix it through the sambol.