ரொட்டி (rotti) and sambol is my ‘home’ or ‘comfort food’.
அம்மா (amma) makes it so easily – she could do it with her eyes closed. I find getting the heat balance for the ரொட்டி too annoying – which is more about my impatience than anything. As a result it ends up being too carboardy unlink my அம்மா’s ரொட்டி which is always soft.
When talking about cuisine from other countries with அம்மா, we often come back to (in tamil) – ‘nothing is better than ரொட்டி and sambol’. 🙂
I love ரொட்டி with curry, ரொட்டி with sambol, ரொட்டி with sambol and banana.
INGREDIENTS FOR ROTTI
2 cups plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
2/3 tsp salt
1 tbl butter (I use oil)
1 cup water
1 tsp oil (olive or vegetable)
2. slowly add the water until the mixture is rolled into a ball.
3. Leave aside for 30min-1 hour.
4. Break up the mixture into balls a little bigger than limes.
5. Flatten 1 ball with the palm of your hands and then use a rolling pin to roll it into a flat circle.
6. Put the rotti on a flat fry pan set to medium heat.
7. Put some butter on the exposed side of the rotti.
8. Cook for 30 seconds and then turn it over.
7. Put butter on the newly exposed side and cook for 30 seconds.
8. Keep repeating this till cooked. It should take less than 5 minutes.
9. Use the back of a wooden or plastic spoon to press the rotti down intermittently while it is frying.
Note – you can keep the rotti mixture for about 5-6 hours.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAMBOL1/2 cup desiccated packet coconut
1/4 of a medium sized lemon
1/4 of a small onion
12 dried chillies (vary this depending on hot you want your symbol)
15 curry leaves
1/2 spoon salt
The non veg variety would have maldive fish flakes (see previous Omlette post)
1. Sprinkle 2 tbl water on the coconut and put in the microwave for 1 min.
2. Put all ingredients minus the lemon in a grinder and grind.
3. Remove from grinder and place in a serving dish.
4. Squeeze the lemon and mix it through the sambol.