This recipe has been copied from Recipes of the Jaffna Tamils – Puusanikkai Chutney (pg 40). Puusanikkai means pumpkin.
2 cups pumpkin pieces (i decided to go with 3 cups – no real logic – just a feeling)
A whole bouquet of garlic
Thumb-sized piece ginger
1 1/2 cups vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sultanas
1. Cook the pumpkin pieces in a little water till soft. Mash.
2. Pound garlic and ginger together, fine.
3. Place vinegar, sugar, chilli powder, salt and pounded ginger-garlic in a pan (not brass or aluminium).
4. Bring to boil. Add mashed pumpkin and cook till chutney thickens. This could take about 20min.
5. Remove from stove and add sultanas. Mix well.